Probably the best record fair in the Eastern USA (maybe in the top 5 worldwide) takes place at the 69th Regiment Armory, 68 Lexington Ave & 26th Street from Friday May 30th to Sunday June 1st 2014. It’s the WFMU Record Fair
7pm to 10pm Friday
10am to 7pm Saturday
10am to 7pm Sunday
Admission is $7 each day. Frenzied collectors can pay $25.00 for 4pm admission on Friday and that then gets them in for all three days.
The 69th Regiment Armory is at 68 Lexington Avenue and 26th Street.
WFMU broadcasts from the event and there are live musical acts also.
Here is a complete dealer and performer list from the WFMU site (pdf) Each dealer is listed along with their location (table number) a short description of their wares. There is also a map.
If you do decide to come to the show and you have never been before, here are a few tips:
1) Prepare yourself for sensory overload. You will certainly see records here which you have never seen before, and which you will never see again.
2) Stay hydrated. There is a bar and there is (pretty good) pizza, but you’ll definitely want to bring water.
3) Most dealers accept cash only. A few dealers accept credit cards.
4) If you see an interesting table, investigate it right away. Some dealers do not do all three days of the show.
5) If you see an interesting record, buy it immediately. It will likely not be there when you come back.
6) Be prepared to see other people walking around with records you wish you had.
7) Try to be tolerant of other customers and their elbows. Be gently but firm in establishing your personal space. This is New York City and some people can forget themselves when faced with all the amazing records and a time crunch.
8) Have a plan. Go through the dealer list and map and plan out a strategy focused on your area of interest. Or just start at one corner and work your way to the next.